A normal temperature is around 37C (98.6F)
What I failed to mention was that my temperature has been between 38-39.9 C on occasions over the last week and it wasn't until we purchased another thermometer that I started to take it seriously. So the bad arse in the ear thermometer is clearly giving some freaky kinda shit reading and the new under the armpit - a more realistic reading.
I have to inform the oncologist line if my temperature hits 37.5C
On Friday at 16:30, after no longer being able to ignore that I needed to go to hospital I called the oncology helpline - Shropdoc - with a temperature of 38.2. I was told to make my way up to AMU and was given a side room. I had my blood pressure checked and was running a temperature of 38.6c. I had my bloods taken and almost passed out, blood/sugar test, (all clear, NO neuropathy) cannula fitted and antibiotics run through followed by a saline solution.
I felt very chesty and was given a chest x ray only to discover that there is shadowing on the lower left lung and to take some hard core antibiotics twice a day for the next 7 days.
I am now so breathy that I am hyperventilating just mobilising from the sofa to the toilet or from the bed to the living room. Not being able to breathe is really fricking scary.
We managed to get discharged at 23:00
Saturday and Sunday night consisted of a temperature higher than when I was admitted to hospital, hubby gave me paracetamol and made me sweat out the heat. I'm not going to lie, I didn't think I was going to make it at one point - I know this sounds melodramatic, but believe me when your husband is helping you with the most basic of things and you see the dread in his face and the person you seen in the mirror is a bald headed sweaty mess who can hardly breathe .... (all I can say is that if I still smoked I have no doubt that I would not be here).
So this morning I managed to walk to see my GP accompanied by my husband who was supporting me and subjected to walking at a snails pace to see if there was anything they could prescribe to bring my temperature down.
I also called the Chemotherapy day centre and explained that there was no way my body would be able to cope with a cycle just yet. They agreed that I need to finish my course of antibiotics and so FEC#5 has been delayed until next Friday and I'm off to see my oncologist this Thursday to discuss my side effects and how we can manage them better :)